For some Americans, Halloween is one of the most anticipated holidays. Unfortunately, it can also be rather dangerous. Use the following suggestions to help keep your child safe this year.
Costume Safety Tips
- Choose fire-resistant costumes, wigs and accessories.
- Avoid potentially dangerous props, like hard swords.
- Opt for non-toxic face paint or makeup instead of masks.
- Decorate costumes and treat bags with reflective tape if your child will be out after dark.
Trick-or-treating Safety Tips
- Accompany children under 12 at all times.
- Insist that trick-or-treating only be done in familiar areas.
- Plan a route if older children are going alone.
- Designate a specific time for children to return home.
- Instruct children to never enter a stranger’s car or home.
- Remind children to always look both ways before crossing a street, to be aware of their surroundings and to use sidewalks whenever possible.
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home.
- Discard treats that appear to be open or tampered with.
For more tips on how to celebrate Halloween safely, click here.
© 2016 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.